Wednesday, December 4, 2019

Historical Figure Wednesday: Charles Darwin + Notice

     Hello everybody and welcome back to another edition of Nations Made Fun! I'll be your host, Mr. Nations, your tour guide to this massive world we all call home! Before we get started, I wanted to tell all my readers something. I realize that my blog isn't oriented towards nations and geography as much as it once was. I think after a while my blog drifted towards history more than nations. It is too late for me to go through my blog and change all the posts, but I can change the name of the blog. Please comment below if you think I should change the name of the blog. Well, let's all learn about Charles Darwin!

     Charles Darwin (1809-1882) was an English scientist who laid down the framework for the evolution theory. Darwin showed how mankind evolved from lower life forms. His work was ahead of his time and was met with bitter controversy when presented to the scientific community. Gradually, his work in the field became accepted and before long evolution was the basis of natural history.

     During Darwin's time, religion was essentially an unstoppable force. The bible was considered infallible and could not possibly be wrong. People thought it was the literal word of God. This contained the belief that the world was created in seven days and was only a few thousand years old. Darwin was smarter than this. He found more and more evidence that the earth was far older.

     Fun Facts:
  • Darwin liked to eat exotic animals, but not owls. He gagged at the taste of it and called it "indescribable".
  • Darwin couldn't stand the sight of blood, which was a large part of why he became a pastor at a church and not a 19th-century surgeon.
  • Darwin was a backgammon buff! He won 2,795 of backgammon in his life.
     Picture/Portrait of Charles Darwin: 
     Image result for picture of charles darwin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful. Think to yourself, "Would I say this to a child?"